Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #23
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Norton's potential Title Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Garcia beat a Norton who had 16 fights, and a washed up Thad Spencer, Kirkman ,beat a faded Amos Lincoln,ditto Doug Jones and Eddie Machen. Hardly live scalps.Any one who backed up Norton beat him ,Shavers , and Cooney did it when he was old, I think they beat him in his prime.Eddie Futch said" Norton froze against punchers" ,and he should know.

Agreed,

Jose Luis Garcia was a journeyman on his best day. He was 188 Lbs and had only stopped maybe 6 of his 12 victoms. Nothing special there. Quarry was a good boxer and counter puncher, but definately not a slugger. Boone Kirkman was a respectable opponent but no world beater by anyone's standards.

I agree with Futch's statement that he froze against punchers, and would have always struggled with the best of them. Apparently Frazier used to get the better of him in sparring on a regular basis, and he didn't even have the advantage of size as so many others would have. There are some boxer/punchers who I might give Norton a chance against, but not any true power hitters. Joe Frazier, Mike Tyson, George Foreman, Sonny Liston, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis and Vitali Klitschko would always have my vote to beat Ken Norton. I like the man a lot, but his weakness has been overly exposed.......
mr. magoo is offline  Top