View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #20
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes's Title Opposition, as **** as they say???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I tend to think that Leroy Jones was actually better ( at least on paper) than people give him credit for.

Jones was a large heavyweight at 6'5" and 250 Lbs, and undefeated in a respectable sum of 25 fights. In addition he held the NABF regional belt. His list of opponents were not exactly stelar, but he did manage to beat some fairly tough customers in John Denis, James Beatie and a rising Mike Weaver. Frankly, I think Jones was one of Holmes more underrated opponents. He certainly doesn't fall into the same category as many of the other contenders Holmes faced.
The ****ogy I remember being applied to Jones is that he was the reincarnation of Buster Mathis. I believe he had pneumonia at the time of his title shot with Holmes, but he showed excellent upper body reflexes early. The way he held his hands up and the quickness with which he moved them gave the impression that he could effortlessly snatch flies out of thin air. He could also flick his head quickly to evade blows. Unfortunately, he had little power, his best punch being a short chopping right, and he appeared to have rather short arms for someone of his size. However, he was one of the most unique talents to ever challenge for the big enchilada.
Duodenum is offline  Top