View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #24
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holmes's Title Opposition, as shit as they say???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
These are all very good points and agree with most of what you're saying. Keep in mind however, that fighting Earnie Shavers twice and facing an entire generation of unbeaten prospects coming off of big wins, is not exactly a risk free career. I've never held it against him for fighting the younger challengers with not so many fights. The real problem that I had However, was his taking fights with guys who were never very good to begin with, nor ever would be such as Lucien Rodriguez, Alfredo Evangelista, Tex Cobb, Scott Ledoux, Ossie Ocasio, Lorenzo Zannon and Leon Spinks. None of those guys should have gotten title shots, and frankly I think it was ridiculous that they did. On the other hand, some of the other fighters like Cooney, Shavers, Norton, Witherspoon, Smith, Berbick, Jones, Weaver, Frank, and Williams were actually not as bad as people sometimes make them out to be in my opinion
Lucien Rodriguez, Alfredo Evangelista, Tex Cobb, Scott Ledoux, Ossie Ocasio, Lorenzo Zannon and Leon Spinks were not top competition for sure, but there were reasons why they got title shots.

L. Spinks, Zannon, And Evangelista were dance partners of Ali. L. Spinks beat Ali. Evangelista gave a declining Ali some problems. Holmes used the exposure of these men and gave them title shots to prove he was a worthy successor of Ali. The older Ali took the above fighters the distance. Holmes knocked the entire lot out. Spinks as a former lineal title holder was not a bad defense in my book. Anyone who calls themselves a fan of boxing is glad Holmes thrashed Leon Spinks.

Cobb was the undefeated “ white hope “ before Cooney. Ocasio was a very skilled cruiser weight sized fighter in the heavyweight division. LeDoux was a popular journeyman fighter who mixed with his era.

The above names don’t offer the foundation for legacy, and none of the above fighters gave Holmes a real challenge. This is not to say that the fights themselves were not memorable. Cobb took everything Holmes threw at him for 15 rounds of boxing! Spinks was blown out in spectular fashion.
Mendoza is offline  Top