Old 08-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #49
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Manny Pacquiao vs. Naseem Hamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
Hey Young Griffo, I know what you're saying. I am a Muslim, but seriously, it doesn't cloud my judgement. Believe it or not when Naseem was fighting I used to really hate him and wanted him to lose badly. His arrogance and attitude used to really get under my skin, plus the fact that he didn't show an ounce of respect to any fighter. What really bothered me about Hamed was that he was a very bad example of a Muslim who didn't know the virtues of humility and being humble. His antics and lack of sportmanship ****ed me off too. Why did he have to come to the ring with the Islamic call to prayer? And also make his oponents wait an eternity before he arrived in the ring due to his OTT ring entrances. Seriously, I did not like the guy at all and hated his attitude.

However, earlier in his career I did appreciate his boxing style, reflexes and frightning power. But then he let his ego get the better of him, stopped training seriously and showed a distinct lack of loyalty in getting rid of his lifetime trainer Brendan Ingle. I remember when he signed to fight Barrera, I could see the writing on the wall. I used to tell all my friends Barrera would beat him and they thought I was crazy. I remember the night of the fight, I was watching with lots of my friends. I was cheering Barrera all the way while they could not believe what was happening. Although, I always found Hamed entertaining and know he could have been something special if he'd not have thrown it away.

I don't think Amir Khan will do as well as Hamed. He has some skills (mainly his speed) but he lacks power and his chin worries me a great deal. What does impress me about Khan is his heart, he was knocked down in his last fight and was really hanging from a thread. However, he shook it off and showed good determination against Limond (but who is Limond? hardly a decent fighter let alone world class). Khan needs to tighten up on some fundamental errors e.g. Keeping his hands high. He could be prove me wrong and become a world champion some day and age is on his side, but unless he improves drastically, at the moment I just don't see it. Khan is highly overrated in England due to his performance at the olympics.
Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough post mate
Like I said I haven't seen much of Khan but as a person he's a lot more likable than Hamed as he seems a nice, humble, kid from a good family.
I'll take back my comment from my earlier post as your assessment of Hamed (while not agreeing with everything you wrote) was very fair and honest.
young griffo is offline  Top