View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Arka

vCash: 1000
Default Re: blood thinners and omega 3 fish oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Interesting. It seems that a lot of the herbs I supplement my diet with are blood thinners. Chamomile, garlic, clove, anise, fish oil, flax oil, ginger, licorice, onion, turmeric, ginseng. I use most of these on a daily basis, I'm surprised blood isn't coming out through my pores
Yes.....

Inuits who had a diet rich in cod and seal blubber were known to be vulnerable to heavy internal bleeding after minor accidents.This is something to take into account when you are boxing.Speaking from personal experience, my hemorrhoids tend to bleed when I take a few cod liver oil tablets.

I wonder whether aspirin ,because of the thinning of the blood,would reduce endurance,by reducing how much oxygen is delivered around the body.Apparently, it reduces muscle soreness thereby improving muscular endurance.It also increases the level of nitric oxide in the body widening the blood vessels and so increasing blood flow.Hmmm.... From studies it seems that aspirin has little effect on endurance.So these effects may cancel each other out. Some studies also seem to suggest to suggest that aspirin reduces potential muscle growth after a workout.So it would not be beneficial if you are an athlete wishing to put on heavy muscle mass.

BTW here is a very simple explanation of how EPO works,according to the BBC website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/4657010.stm

Maybe, athletes on EPO take aspirin to counteract the blood thickening effect.
Arka is offline  Top