Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #21
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jerry Quarry vs. Vitali Klitschko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Vitali is not comparable to Baer. First of all, Vitali is to Baer what Liston is to Marciano. Vitali is 6'7 1/2 250 lb, not 6'2 1/2 and 210 lb.

Second, Vitali rarely lost rounds. Baer did so very often, he managed to lose a decision to a past his prime Braddock for crying out loud. The two natural sub-200 pound fighters that Vitali fought lasted one round and two rounds.
Vitali has an ugly style just like Max, but he is very effective with it and no one really solved it. He also has an iron chin and can fight on the backfoot (see the Sanders fight) or on the front foot (most of his fights).

Ali had Quarry completely befuddled by a long jab and movement and Ali didn't have nearly the size that Vitali does. Ali wasn't as fast as he was at his peak anymore either. You're giving all excuses for Quarry emotionally drained and what not, but the fact is that he was at the peak of his powers whereas Ali had a full three year layoff and no warmup fight at all. Everything was in his favor yet he only lasted 3 rounds.

You're bringing up the Mathis fight to show him against a big guy, but Vitali is to Mathis what Ali is to Frazier in height, a huge difference. Mathis was mostly a fat guy who lost every time he stepped up. Vitali wasn't a glass chinned, staminaless fighter like Shavers either.

I take Vitali by late TKO.
No modern heavyweight has anything resembling the skills possessed by a veteran Quarry. Witness how fat old Larry Holmes schooled the peaking 1988 Olympic HW Gold Medalist. That's representative of how much the art of boxing has declined from Quarry's era to Klitschko's. A peak Larry Holmes would have shut out Mercer 150-135 over 15 rounds with the least possible trouble, and the modern sport has devolved so much that Chuck Wepner would look like SRR against today's heavyweights. Oh, and Carnera boxes Klitschko's ears off in sweeping the championship rounds. After 12 rounds, Quarry had decisioned Lyle handily. This was the same Lyle who was actually leading a prime experienced Ali in the scoring after ten rounds.

No, Vitali is not comparable to Baer. Maxie dominated King Levinski over the 20 round distance. Gee, I wonder what Klitschko would look like after trying to go 20 with Baer, cause he sure as heck isn't going to be able to land an opponent who took Galento's best with six ounce gloves. (Aren't today's wimps using ten and twelve ounce pillows?) Just check out Baer/Carnera on youtube for the visual of what Baer (either Buddy or Max) might look like against Klitschko (either Vitali or Wlad).

ps: It's about time Chris. I can't spend all my sparring time against good old JT. I've come to rely on your antagonism, as it's become part of my comfort zone on ESB Classic. (When you agree with anything I post, I panic.)
Duodenum is offline  Top