Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #23
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jerry Quarry vs. Vitali Klitschko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Vitali could beat Quarry by just using the jab and countering,though plodding and predictable Klitschko can box a bit and certainly hit ,Quarry was mobile with good power ,and fast hands ,but prone to cuts and fighting emotionally,getting off his game plan if he did this against the Russian he loses.Jimmy Ellis beat Quarry by countering him ,I thinkVitali could do the sameKlitschko by dec or late TKO,on cuts.
When it came to cuts, Jerry wasn't exactly Wepner or Antuofermo. Four of his nine defeats were due to cuts, and he had 66 professional bouts in all, so I'm not sure he was the bleeder he's been stereotyped as.

Most cuts are inflicted by a clash of heads, an unlikely scenario with the height disparity involved here. Quarry's 12 rounder with Lyle was a masterpiece of ring generalship, and Lyle was a better tactician than I believe Klitschko was. Quarry performed very poorly against Ellis, but Jimmy probably had the better sparring partner in training to help him prepare for Jerry. Again, Klitschko was probably not in Ellis's league as a strategist, but a good rudimentary stand-up stylist with substantial height and reach. Quarry would not be facing Ali, Ellis or Frazier, but a stiff, semi-mobile adversary.

I don't think Klitschko would be doing the countering in this one. Jerry was able to make Lyle move the way Quarry wanted, and I simply don't understand how Klitschko could possibly possess the level of ring savvy Lyle did, let alone Jerry. Nor would he be able to get inside Quarry's head the way Ali did.
Duodenum is offline  Top