Old 08-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #25
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: Jerry Quarry vs. Vitali Klitschko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
No modern heavyweight has anything resembling the skills possessed by a veteran Quarry. Witness how fat old Larry Holmes schooled the peaking 1988 Olympic HW Gold Medalist. That's representative of how much the art of boxing has declined from Quarry's era to Klitschko's. A peak Larry Holmes would have shut out Mercer 150-135 over 15 rounds with the least possible trouble, and the modern sport has devolved so much that Chuck Wepner would look like SRR against today's heavyweights. Oh, and Carnera boxes Klitschko's ears off in sweeping the championship rounds. After 12 rounds, Quarry had decisioned Lyle handily. This was the same Lyle who was actually leading a prime experienced Ali in the scoring after ten rounds.
I disagree with that decline. One fight does not prove an entire group of fighters being weaker. YI may just as well single out Tyson or Holyfield vs Holmes and say how he was dominated. You bring up Wepner but i will remind you that Wepner was a top10 ranked contender in the 70's.

However, i don't think one particular era is stronger than another; there are always Wepners, Rodriguezes, Wilsons, and contenders and one, two or three greats.

Carnera lacks the speed and skill to box Klitschko's ears off. Klitschko is way more athletic. Carnera came in a time when 6'6 was a huge exception. Today, that height is still high, but much less rare and as a consequence there's more talent for such big fighters as we've seen in Bowe, Lewis and both Klitschko's, during the last ten years.

I also don't see as much in Lyle as you do. He lost all his big fights: a badly aging Ali, against Foreman (a close one, i'll admit), to Quarry and twice befuddled by Young. He did beat Bonavena (who incidentally, also lost all of his big fights) Jimmy Ellis who was so badly past his prime that he lost to Kirkman.

You speak of him being ahead after 10 against a prime experienced Ali. Ali prime experienced in 1975? He had to beat Frazier (who was also declined) a few months later on pure heart and determination instead of his great reflexes and speed. The reason Lyle was ahead was not because he was a good boxer but because Ali was addicted to the ropes after he beat Foreman, and was hoping for Lyle to just fall down after hitting him. Which didn't happen obviously. The fact that Lyle was out on his feet after a single punch from Ali speaks very bad for him. Ali has very little power compared to other heavyweights; in fact this is the only fight in his entire career that he turned around with a single punch (not counting the Liston rematch for obvious reasons).

Quote:
No, Vitali is not comparable to Baer. Maxie dominated King Levinski over the 20 round distance. Gee, I wonder what Klitschko would look like after trying to go 20 with Baer, cause he sure as heck isn't going to be able to land an opponent who took Galento's best with six ounce gloves. (Aren't today's wimps using ten and twelve ounce pillows?) Just check out Baer/Carnera on youtube for the visual of what Baer (either Buddy or Max) might look like against Klitschko (either Vitali or Wlad).
Yes i saw Baer/Carnera, and he managed to lose a lot of the middle rounds and not finishing Carnera after several knockdowns. I also saw how very limited he was outside of his right hand.
By the way, are we talking about the same Levinsky who lost to almost anyone with a pulse as well as many journeymen? He had two good wins in 1931 but outside of that, his record is that of a journeyman.

Quote:
ps: It's about time Chris. I can't spend all my sparring time against good old JT. I've come to rely on your antagonism, as it's become part of my comfort zone on ESB Classic. (When you agree with anything I post, I panic.)
I know, you wouldn't have it any other way.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top