View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #55
nick wells jr
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mediocre fighters with great one-punch-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I recently visited the Webster's online dictionary to look up the term mediocre. The entry read as follows " To be of moderate or low qualtity in ability

Personally, I think that this is a bad term to describe the career performance of Earnie Shavers. No, he was not an all time great, and of course never became a world champion, but not being great doesn't automatically drop someone below the ranks of good, decent or average right into the realm of being low in quality, which is how Webster describes mediocre.

Earnie Shavers had a relatively successful amateur career becoming the 1969 AAU champion. Upon turning pro, he fought on average anywhere between 7-12 times per year, knocking out almost anyone who entered the ring with him. He suffered Early losses to men like Ron Stander, Bon Stallings, Jerry Quarry and a few others, however it should be taken into consideration that his high volume of frequent ring appearances could have made him vulnerable to being cought on an off night. Shavers compiled impressive victories over such names as Ken Norton, Joe Bugner, Jimmy Ellis and Roy Williams. He also gained the testimonies of two of the most durable champions of all time in Larry Holmes and Muhammad Ali as the hardest puncher they had ever fought. Numerous boxing analysts, authors and experts including Al Bernstein, Burt Sugar, and many others have repeatedly proffessed that Earnie was in a category of his own when it came to power. Shavers has often been criticised as lacking in skill, speed, stamina, chin and other typical qualities that make great fighters. Keep in mind however, that I'm not making an argument for Shavers being great, only better than mediocre.
i believe that maggos point on shavers fighting frequently definatly rings true to shavers losses.i would not even be surprised if he took many fights on extremly short notice resulting in losses.hmmm that sounds familiar my father Nick Wells had horrible pro managment prompting his awful pro career.taking fights on short notice and altogether having the opponent change at the last minute altogether.this was one of the reasons why my father who in my opinion was one of the greatest heavyweight amateurs of all time ended up as a mediocre boxer as a pro.there are lots of other dynamics that go along with this as well.the day before my father fought larry holmes in the 72 olympic trials he ran into a door that another one of his teamates was opening therfore leaving a career plaguing gash above his left eye.he still fought holmes the next day beating him in 1st rd ko.but duane bobbick opened the cut back up in the finals with my father.dad broke bobbicks nose leaving it a worse mess than dads eye and dad was ahead on points but the blood in his eye was the stoppage factor.lou duva wanted to take my father to new york and train him to become the next world heavyweight champ but my father being young and naive went with some local putz winky groom who screwed him bigtime helping add to his pro mediocreness.obviosly he had the talent and promise ,lou duva saw it as well as dustin hoffman the actor who was going to financillay back him.but it wasnt meant to be. i painfully admit it my father ,my hero nick wells was a mediocre fighter as a pro.he could have been so much more but it wasnt in the cards i guess.
nick wells jr is offline  Top