Old 08-26-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike Weaver - His power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabby Gut
I remember him putting Carl 'the truth' Williams to sleep with one vicious lefthook. Weaver was stunned and Williams rushed in to finish the job and got starched himself. I really liked Weaver. A warrior and seemed like a really nice, laidback guy out of the ring. He was from Diamond Bar, California.
As for me, I didn't see Weaver as being stunned at all, but playing possum to deliberately sucker Williams into his hook. He timed it, and as soon as Carl landed with another left, Hercules uncorked his hook inside The Truth's right. It seemed to me that the only one in that arena who didn't realize that Mike was setting him up for that was Williams himself.

Attacking with a predictably incessant one-two pattern can be a very dangerous indulgence. Better to double up on hooks, or vary from each combination to the next for unpredictability. (Duran did this masterfully against Palomino, as chronicled in Sports Illustrated's fine coverage of their match.) Having a true "killer instinct" means knowing when an opponent is in genuine distress, or merely baiting a trap. Williams did not have a servicable "killer instinct," nor did Earnie Shavers (who was duped by Ali into thinking Muhammad wasn't seriously hurt when Earnie in fact had seriously rung his bell).

Dempsey had a fantastic killer instinct. When he knew his prey was going to rise up from a knockdown, he'd shadow his quarry in anticipation of their beating the count. But when he dropped Brennan in their title scrap, floored Jack Sharkey, and decked Firpo for the final time, Jack walked away, because he knew they weren't going to beat the count of ten after those knockdowns.

There's a story that Weaver discovered his apptitude for packing a big punch when he flattened a drill sergeant in the military. Early in his career, he had a reputation as having little staying power, but he impressed Gil Clancy tremendously with his wire to wire domination of Scott LeDoux in Minnesota. Then he sealed his reputation with his back to back one punch championship knockout wins with each hand on the road against Tate and Coetzee. In South Africa, Gerrie was not able to get Mike off his feet, cementing Weaver's reputation as somebody who could take a punch. Then he took Tillis out of the unbeaten ranks with a 15 round decison, a verdict over a fine up-and-coming mobile stylist.

While the fourth estate in boxing has never given Mike his due, he's received tremendous and well-deserved respect and fan support among the ESB Classic posters who remember him, and should always enjoy a secure reputation on fan based forums like this one. A quiet, unassuming, modest classy character, just the sort of gentleman boxing needs to elevate it's image today. He treated failure and success with equal dignity.
Duodenum is offline  Top