View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #59
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Future of CUBA in the Pros, by Weightclasses. (List Inside) ***UPDATED***

The last and highly anticipated fight of the night was the heavyweight contest (8 X 3) between Mike Perez & Zack 'Attack' Page. This promised to be an exciting encounter with the Cuban fighter, Perez, sporting a record of 7 fights, 7 wins with 6 being by KO.

Both fighters looked in great shape coming to the ring, Perez in particular with a build that reminded me of an early Mike Tyson. The American fighter, Page, with over 40 fights to his name looked as relaxed during the introductions as he had earlier in the evening when, during an interval, he'd entertained some of the crowd with his dance moves. However, as soon as the fight started Page looked anything but relaxed as, I sensed that, he very quickly became aware of the power of Perez.

Perez, fighting out of his Southpaw stance, stalked his opponent for the full 8 rounds without much success, continually pawing with his right hand but only using it as a measure for throwing a powerful left handed shot. Page, doing exactly the opposite of his ring alias, backtracked for most of his evening's work without throwing much of any consequence, happy to tie up Perez whenever they got close. Perez persevered with the same tactics and this pattern was the seam that ran through the whole of the fight. Glimpsing at the corner team of Perez during the bout I sensed frustration, at times, with their fighter who perhaps would have been wiser to have varied his approach work.

Although a clear points winner, ultimately, I thought that Perez looked a little one dimensional tonight, sensing that he seemed to be relying on his power too much to finish the contest against an opponent with enough ring knowledge to stay out of real trouble.

It's very early days in the paid ranks for Perez and, no doubt, he'll face many more cagey fighters like Zack 'attack' Page in the future. I'm sure, however, that these will prove to be more fruitful nights after more guidance from, and time spent, with trainer McCrory.
jaycuban is offline  Top