View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #60
jaycuban
Cubans Do It Better !
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Future of CUBA in the Pros, by Weightclasses. (List Inside) ***UPDATED***

For me, the pick of the three Cuban boxers, and the best boxer on display during the evening's boxing was the super-middleweight (W3 all by KO). Garcia, a former world amateur champion, looked simply tremendous tonight. Garcia's opponent was the Nigerian Michael Gbenga (W 5, L 4) and both fighters entered the ring looking in fantastic shape for this eight round contest.

As soon as the fight started the pattern was set for the full 8 rounds that were eventually completed. Garcia moved in and out of range beautifully and threw and connected with, I'm sure, every shot in the book over the distance of the fight.

Like so many African fighters I've seen over the years, Gbenga was brave and game, and didn't stop trying all night, continually throwing out his jab and trying to connect with his right hand. However, Garcia was a class above and really did remind me of a matador at times with Gbenga lunging forward on a couple of occasions only to stumble into the ropes as Garcia side-stepped deftly while landing shots of his own.

Garcia did hold his left hand low at times and Gbenga did manage to catch him with right hands on a couple of occasions over the 8 rounds but this was Gbenga's only real success, although this might be a warning for Garcia in future fights.

Garcia's quick hands and combinations to head and body were just too much for Gbenga whose nose was bloodied by a heavy right hand shot in round 4 and who looked sorry for himself as he went back to his corner at the end of the round. Gbenga's nose continued to pour blood for the rest of the fight and it became painful to watch as Garcia continued to connect with combination shots. Personally, I think there was a case for stopping the fight early and I got the impression that if Garcia had wanted to he could have forced the stoppage but seemed content with the status quo.

At the end, the fight was scored 80-72 in favour of Garcia, who is definitely in this writer's opinion, a fighter to keep your eye on.
jaycuban is offline  Top