Old 08-28-2007, 02:22 AM   #14
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Taking a punch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
What "band of muscle which surrounded the skull" are you talking about?
eMedicine - Scalp Anatomy : Article by M Abraham Kuriakose, MD, DDS, FRCS
Here is an image of skull layers.
Look up the "galea aponeurotica" layer (otherwise called "Epicranial aponeurosis"), this is the muscle layer. It is very thin.
I don't know where you read that it is 1/4 inch thick on normal people, or that it can be up to 1 inch thick on some people, any source that says this is plain wrong (or they intended this as a joke). These muscles are not intended for protection of the skull, they are intended for mimicry mostly. I can guess one can train them by making faces in front of a mirror, but you will still be unable to build them and increase their thickness any significantly.
The next time I go to my local college library, I will see of I can rustle up those issues of the Boston area newspaper microfilm to document my source for this item. I took it if for granted that others on ESB familiar with Hagler's career already knew about this old story. I will do my utmost within my area to try locating the article revealing this. Failing that, I may be visiting the Boston/Brockton area this foliage season, and maybe locate some material for this through the Petronellis. (Assuming I can work up the nerve to risk driving into that vehicular nighmare.
Duodenum is offline  Top