Old 08-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #22
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: where to keep your eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsid
This maybe be true in very early amauteurs (aka, haymakers), but from more experianced boxers (6months+, depends on boxer) you will get destoryed if you follow this advice. If you throw punches/combos by tilting your body in one direction or another, that is called bad technique (unless of course your rolling off the punches and countering). Especially because proper punches are thrown by rotation of the hips and shoulders.
Factoring in feints and different styles of boxing, it's just best to stay on your toes, don't hesitate, and watch for the tells. After a few months of sparing and training you will eventually get to the point where you body will be able to tell which punches are being thrown and move on its own.
And I don't know what your talking about calling the jab a nonleverage punch. The jab can be equally as deadly if not more deadly than the right hand.
My point is experienced boxers don't focus on one thing in particular, they just look at the opponent. I wouldn't concentrate on an opponent's legs too much at all unless he was going to kick me or something like that. I think looking at somebody's legs would probably get you KOed almost as fast as not paying any attention at all. This is coming from a guy who was trained by an ex fighter whose trainer also trained Joey Maxim.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top