TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987
Default Re: General strategic advice guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
Method #1:

My favorite method; stay just outside of his range most of the time and pick your spots carefully but equally violently. The best way to do this is to time his jab or right hand, duck/slip, step inside, and BANG! throw a hard counter right followed by a left hook, uppercut, or whatever you like. AND DON'T STOP PUNCHING! The tall man will do anything to keep the fight on the outside, so once you're inside your only have precious time; you can't afford to relax or let him off the hook. This is your time so use it damnit!

When he gets out of range or ties you up, you simply start over, by staying just a little bit away from his range. Depending on him, you will either back up or come forward slowly. When he makes his move, you make yours. Of course, you have to add some variation to not become predictable, so you can add a few jabs or come in using a Tysonesque bob and weave attack. Keeping a tight, high guard throoghout is very important.

A great example of landing a right hand over the jab can be seen here, watch it at 5:10 and watch it ten times in a row. I did. This is what boxing is all about:

BORKED

For an execution of this general gameplan, Ruslan Chagaev vs Felix Savon is a nice blueprint:
(his pro fight with Valuev is good for this as well, but that should be slow-motion compared to what you're doing)

BORKED
I have to say, this is my favourite method also. That clip at 5:10-ish in the Haye-Maccarinelli fight is a perfect example. Obviously there's other ways to try and take the jab away, a much more difficult way for example would be perhaps turning southpaw and jabbing over the top, but it's still not going to take his jab away is it, it just means you are working extra hard to deal with it in a more effective way.

Timeing a simple jab, stepping and landing a huge punch like the one in the Maccarinelli fight is going to make him think twice about throwing it again, and therefore you are limiting his range finder and reach to an extent.
TommyV is offline  Top