Old 05-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Maxim , Underated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
I always thought he got a gift over Patterson, and he may have been lucky to have fought Robinson under bizarre circumstances as well, and those are two of his biggest career achievements on paper.

His defining performance for me was when he crushed the heavily hyped challenger Bob Murphy, who was actually favored to beat him. Maxim actually stood in close and gave him a brutal body beating, and possibly ruined him.

Maxim put together a good string of wins just before and during his title reign - ie: Lesnevich, Mills, Bivins, Satterfield, Murphy, Robinson - but when he stepped up to a higher level, like he did against Charles and Moore, he usually came off a clear second best.
I was ringside at Eastern Parkway Arena when Maxim fought Patterson, M2S. Disagree with you and Dempsey 1238. Thought the nod for Joey was justified, though, like everybody else from Brooklyn, I was pullin' for Floyd.

It was an all-Patterson crowd, and we'd come to see the Floyd express roll on.

Maxim was dull-as-dishwater and, God knows, predictable, but he screwed-up Floyd's rhythm and beat him to the punch and tattooed him all night with double and triple jabs. Floyd's flurries were eye-catching, but, up close, not damaging, and he wasn't busy enough.

He got out-smarted by a veteran.
john garfield is offline  Top