Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 AM   #49
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Harold Johnson - Frightenly Muscular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
But it doesn't happen like that. Meta5 has pretty much summed it up already, and I agree with what he said.

Even pro bodybuilders will struggle to put on just 20 pounds of muscle a year after several years, and they're the genetic elite.

Cast your mind back to 1992. Dorian Yates enters the Mr. Olympia weighing 242 pounds, if memory serves. The next year he came in at 257, which represents only a 15 pound gain in muscle mass.
People could not believe he had put on that much size in only a single year.
Yes, guys like Coleman and Cutler have also done it. but it's rare...very rare. And again, these guys are the absolute elite in building muscle and are also taking copious amounts of steroids. They were never, at any stage of their lives, the proverbial 98 pound weakling. Never.

Seriously, I can't believe you think any old body can just ingest a lot of protein and do weight training and get big. Bigger yes, but that's relative to the person concerned.

If that were the case, there would be legions of big, muscular guys walking around. The opposite is the case. Most gyms have a small minority of big guys, while the vast majority of trainees are struggling to add just 5 pounds of muscle to their physiques, let alone 48.
Thousands upon thousands of guys flock to gyms every year to get big, yet how many big guys do you see walking around?
The percentage is tiny compared to the amount of people trying their butts off.
I'm talking about people not on steroids.

Sure, in a lot of cases you can write it off to lack of effort or a bad routine or both, but many are ticking all the right boxes yet still struggle to add serious size.

As Meta5 said already, the gains become harder to come by year by year. Almost anyone can gain muscle pretty quickly initially, but after 3 or 4 years you hit a plateau and thereafter it is that is extremely difficult to add meaningful size without resorting to drugs.

In addtion, I've yet to meet anyone who gained significant size without gaining a fair amount of bodyfat. There are few exceptions, in my experience.
So you may after a number of years have the size, but not the shape. That's another story.
I exagerated the amount someone will stack on but for the record Dorian came into the gym first weighing 12stone (168lb) and ofcourse not ripped, he was basically average. Flex Wheeler FYI who arguably has the best bodybuilding physiqe ever was a 100lb weakling

In the first few year of training, gaining 20lbs a year is possible without steroids, then maybe it drops to 5-10lb as your body has already filled out. Still over 10years of that you can still add 70lbs of muscle to a 140lb frame. Its actually pretty normal to gain muscle from the teenage years into manhood anyway, so when you add training/nutrition to it you gain, simple. Especially if you add supplements
PowerPuncher is offline  Top