View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bowe-Holyfield III

Nick, I think you said it very well. When I saw it live I thought Bowe deserved to retain his title. I also think that when a fight is delayed 20 minutes in the middle of it, it should be a no contest.

I thought Holy was fine in Bowe III, but that he wore himself out throwing nothing but bombs, and Bowe's constant superb work rate for a heavyweight, and the nonstop body attack also wore Evander down. We are talking a 6'5" 240 plus pound guy here, who stopped almost every one of his opponents.

I also think Evander hurt Bowe just before he got ko'd. That actually led to Evander's ko. He was trying to finish Bowe, so he attacked with a series of big bombs and in the middle of it all ran his face right smack dab into a perfectly timed and thrown right hand. Like Foreman likes to say, "Never punch with a puncher." Doing so led to Bowe's knockdown, but it also led to Evander's KO.

That was the first fight where Bowe showed that he could really take punishment and had an underrated rope a dope. Unfortunately, that fight was so brutal, I don't think Rid**** was the same after it, and that fight explains his performance against Golota as much as anything. A great fight.

It was actually good for Evander to take a lot of time off after a brutal fight like that, which probably helped him againt Mike, who size and style wise, was a better matchup for Evander than Bowe.
apollack is offline  Top