View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #209
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Classic Forum -Talk About Anything (Mods please dont move)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl_Nose View Post
I cannot stand Unforgiven, way too schmaltzy like a lot of Eastwood's later films. Million Dollar Baby, Iwo Jima, Flags of our Fathers, and Gran Torino is exactly the same .. This kind of stuff plays well in America but everywere else in the world says 'That is soooo schmaltzy and soooooo American' ..
The Outlaw Josey Wales is my favourite western and i think hes class in the Leone and Dirty Harrys ....

Tom Hank's films are total shit .. This guy always plays a guy who you feel sorry for, whether its Forrest Gump, or a dude who gets stranded on a desert island, or a guy who's wife has died, or a guy that has AIDS .. His films are all designed for audiences to feel sorry for his character. When is this guy going to play a serial killer or a vampire because Hanks is getting seriously predictable ..
I'm not a big Hanks fan, but I liked him in Road To Perdition. I have to say I know what you mean about Eastwood, he goes for the jugular a bit, I see it. Even Gran Torino, which I basically liked, the last scene (I won't spoil it for others), is over the top. Anyway, all of America has a disease now, I'm sad to say, evident not just in movies, but everywhere. It's all about the bread. I remember when I was a kid, nobody in Hollywood gave two shits what I or anyone else my age thought. Then, maybe over the past 20 years or so, it became so competitive that to not make a mint, in any business, would put you in jeopardy, at risk for extinction. It came down to two choices; sell out and survive or stick to your principles and very possibly die a slow death. "Profit" became not, an important thing but the only thing, so they started appealing to the Lowest Common Denominator; if we can hit the not-so-bright majority right where they live, we'll make a killing. Who gives a shit what a discerning audience might think? The dollars or a mental midget spend just as well as those of a college professor.
Chinxkid is offline  Top