Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685
Default Re: Greatest 10 Australian heavyweight Champion ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
I agree with you that Meehan, Peterson, and Thunder might have given the 86-87 Bugner very good fights. However I completely disagree with your claim that the lightheavyweights you mention could have troubled Bugner. They were just too small.

As for Cervi, Wilson and Mirovic, they fought Bugner the 1990s, when he was far over the hill. The 1986-87 version of Bugner was vastly superior to the 1990s version.
Well Tony Mundine beat Maile Haumono who weighed over 220lbs! I agree that both Stylistically and size wise that Bugner would start a heavy favourite against the light heavyweights I mentioned. But, it is not out of the question that they coudl beat 1986-87 Bugner who was a good fighter, but not the best version of Bugner ever. I know i would certainly start them all as favourites to beat Cervi, Wilson and Mirovic at any stage of their careers. Remember also that Bugner was a spoiling type of fighter and didnt really have all that big a punch, so he isnt guaranteed to overwhelm them totally with power, like say a Ron Lyle or Earnie shavers might have.
Boilermaker is offline  Top