View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 01:26 AM   #17
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576
Default Re: Povetkin admits he is too weak, hires a strength coach.

I knew Povetkin was too good to be true. Oh well- 20 lbs of fat and 75% of the stamina later, and Povetkin gets starched in the 8th round against Wlad.

If Povetkin was a cruiserweight going up to heavyweight, like Haye or Holyfield, I could understand such an idea. However, Povetkin's problem is not that he's too small: it's that he has too much blubber on him. Getting more muscle is fine, provided that he's cutting fat off as well and is staying at more or less the same weight.

Povetkin's best edge in the modern division is his workrate, which requires a lot of stamina. He should try to accentuate this, because it's in this field that the big behemoths of the division are physically handicapped. Even the best conditioned giants, like Wlad, have suspect stamina. A 6"5 230 lb plus man is physically retarded from having the stamina that a 6" 210 lb man can have; I'm amazed that it's taken so long for someone like Povetkin to emerge.

Playing the game of the sub-super heavyweights (ambling around in a robotic fashion, jabbing and looking for a big single shot) will not serve Povetkin; it'll only ruin his chance at greatness.
The Kurgan is offline  Top