View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #27
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: If Jack Dempsey was fighting Harry Wills tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSmith9116
I would like to know what big, skilled, world class heavyweights Dempsey defeated--or opponents similar to Harry Wills in size, skill and experience that make this such a walk over for Jack. IMO, Demspey never beat anyone of Wills ilk--just didn't. So I get confused as to where all the "Wills was made for Demspey" stuff comes from.

Harry Wills was no Luis Firpo or Jess Willard and those that think he was are mis-informed. By the time Harry became a contender, around 1919 or so, he was a big, skilled and well experienced fighter who in a very busy career faced off with what I consider a far deeper group than our pal Jack.

As for him being slow and having a weak chin, I just don't see where that is shown. Does anyone here have prime footage of Wills--or contemporary reports of him being a lumbering giant? And who was knocking him out with such frequency that his chin is now deemed suspect?
Good post, i have to agree.

Wills would also have the psychological advantage because Dempsey didn't want to face him, there may well have been a reason that for it, similar to Lewis vs Bowe only without the amature fight.

Wills would be by the best fighter that Dempsey fought by a significant margin, untill Tunney. Several people have Willis in their heavyweight top20's, some even top15. How high does a Morris, Fulton or Brennan rank?
ChrisPontius is offline  Top