Old 08-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #35
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer View Post
Well, he took massive shots from a 245 pound man who's known as an incredibly hard puncher. Marciano got dropped by Walcott and Moore who, whatever their merits as hitters, were not remotely in Klitschko's league.
I am coming to the conclusion that far too much is being made of the current genaration of 220 lb+ heavyweights as checkers of shins and far too many apologies are being made for those who crumble against them.

History seems to suggest that they do not represent the gold standard test of a chin that is often made out.

To give you just one example of this George Foreman was knocked out by Muhamad Ali and dropped by Jimmy Young neither of who were hard hitters but both of who had exelent speed and delivery. When he comes back in his 40s these so called heavyweight monsters of the 90s couldn't make a dent in his chin.

Speed and delivery beat size and power every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I think that the shot that Walcott hit Marciano with would present a much stronger test of his chin than the slow predictable punches that the current crop of heavyweights throw. I think that it might well have been a more formidable missile than the shot that Hassim Ramhan used to put Lennox Lewis to sleep.
janitor is online now  Top