View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who hit as hard as Fitzsimmons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Agreed. The shot he dropped Johnson with may be the hardest single punch by any middleweight captured on film, and it was more than a flash knockdown. Johnson did not get up on his first try, and falling over Ketchel when he retaliated suggests he was still stunned when he knocked Stan cold.

Langford took out Wills twice, apparently knocking Harry out with a single hook, and reportedly diluted his record by carrying some opponents, something Mickey Walker also admitted to doing in his autobiography. Walker's best weight was 158-159, the weight he trained himself to for the originally scheduled date with Schmeling. While he conceded that he may not have been able to defeat Max, even when in peak condition, he gave every other heavyweight he faced hell, and Schmeling did not take his power lightly either. Mickey also used larger gloves than Fitz.

For Jeffries to say Choynski hit harder is interesting, since Fitz doctored his hands for the rematch with Jeff. (That Corbett kicked Choynski's ass on the street as well as in the ring suggests that Jim was much more of a badass than his public image made him out to be.)
I don't think Johnson was badly hurt by Ketchel's punch ,and he stumbled over Ketchel's body ,which was on the floor at the time.
What proof have you that Fitz doctored his hands for the second fight with Jeffries?
Walker was a good puncher but never kod a top heavyweight.
Fitz kod many.
I have never quite made my mind up about the Ketchel fight, other than that Johnson carried Ketchel ,Ketchel falls to the canvas from an uppercut in the 9th ,and Johnson lifts him up bodily.
Several prints I have seen of the fight seem to indicate Johnson is falling BEFORE he is hit.
But lets not muddy the waters ,lets return to the thread.
mcvey is online now  Top
Sponsored Links