Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #43
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0
Default Re: Doug Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
The point is that you haven't even seen these men fight. How could you possibly know anything about the greatness of Archie Moore and Harold Johnson?
about moore's quality , his record says it. lets consider him one of the best of his time - not the best even. about johnson , he was even not the #2 of his time at his weight , again , by his record.

Quote:
In my opinion the schooling Harding gave to Tarver is better than the comeback TKO win that Tarver scored over a recently injured Harding.
because i didn't know of that injury , maybe it's true , but what injury was it ?
Quote:
Tarver got the best of Roy Jones but he didn't get the best Roy Jones. He even managed to lose the first fight.
by a close MD. he played safe because he was prepared for the 'old roy'
, you see , unlike hopkins and roy , and many more , he doesn't pick his oponents , he really thought he was going to fight the 'old roy'.
Quote:
Henry Hall defeated Bert Lytell, Archie Moore, Bob Satterfield and John Holman.

Slade beat Lytell, Don ****ell, Clarence Henry, Yvon Durelle, Hurricane Jackson, Doc Williams.

Paul Andrews beat Billy Smith, Slade, Durelle, Danny Nardico.

Bethea beat Ernie Terrell, Paul Andrews, Jimmy Slade, Joe Bygraves, Ezzard Charles, had close fights with Zora Folley, Eddie Machen and Nino Valdes.

Arturo Godoy went to a SD against Joe Louis and was a heavyweight contender for many years.
you just exampled my claim about these guys now , that's what you did.
Quote:
Who did Reggie Johnson ever beat? Steve Collins?
also stopped Ralph Ward in 7 rounds. that Ralph Ward WON a close decision over McClellan over 8 rounds.
also Sanderline Williams , Julio Gonzalez , by the time he was 42 !
i don't know about lamar parks but who knows what he'd accomplish without his HIV , he stopped baptist , johnson was his only defeat .
also some of johnson 4-5 close defeats (4 SDs) may just should be regarded as wins.
he fought an unpopular percentage of quality fights.
jumped 2 divisions , continued with his quality fights , and has yet to be stopped.
Quote:
Then don't bring up Hopkins's losses past 40 if you don't want me to bring up the Dawson fights.
tarver deserves respect for the dawson fights.
hopkins picks his oponents in one of the most clear and dirty manners ever. and still manages to lose. fighting dawson is not a pick.
it's a very brave choice , especially for man tarver's age.
dawson is actually taller than tarver. and don't start saying it doesn't matter. also much younger. also was at the weight some 2.5 years before their fight.

Quote:
i said almost the same muscular , not that i see a big difference here.
why does it prove me wrong ?
Quote:
Archie weighed around or more than 200 pounds to his heavyweight fights.

He weighed 197 against Valdes and the next month fought Bobo Olson at 175. 206 against Hans Kalbfell, 175 in his title defense against Tony Anthony.
why does it prove me wrong ? #2
Quote:
You said Hopkins picks fights and was not a great fighter.
at 160 he didn't have to pick , because there was no one there.
at 170 , 175 he did pick and still does. why doesn't he fight dawson ?
Quote:
"tarver fought the best oposition he could get , and proved his superiority over it. "

Does this statement not ring true for Hopkins? He fought the best at 160 and avoided no one. Except Hopkins proved his superiority for decades while Tarver's reign at the top lasted about the time he played Mason Dixon in a Rocky movie.
the best at 160 of his time was shit.
hoya and trinidad were not shit , but then again they , were not legit 160 at that time. trinidad also not so brilliant he used his hand wraps cheating technique untill richardson exposed it and avoided its use.
and true hopkins is not a great fighter.
he is (1) a picker at 170+ (2) chapion of the sewage at 160
(3) a dirty fighter whenever needed.

Quote:
Tarver was 39 and then 40. He still hasn't turned 41.
that was genius , he was 39.5 and then 40.5 , with your fighters one can't even know such things. maybe they were all 1 year younger (and sometimes more) than indicated - see moore,walcott,liston.

Quote:
Marciano wasn't a 175 fighter. Patterson may have been but how old was Moore when he fought Patterson?
if tarver can make 175 , so could marciano.
Moore and Walcott were bigger than marciano , and they were 175.

Quote:
Tarver has half the amount of fights and 6 losses. How many times did Glen Johnson get robbed?
possibly some , but if so , then so did tarver in the johnson fight , and
of course so did reggie johnson .
that's why in such fights i say close decision , close fights , etc ,
and not mentining who 'won'. close distance fight - that's enough for me.

Quote:
Benguesmia who?
the one who stopped O'neil Bell.
another underestimated fighter here.

Quote:
I'm afraid they don't. Both have a similar record of wins.
as i said before.

Quote:
Did you ever see Archie Moore and Harold Johnson fight? That's what I was asking.
the answer is still no.
Quote:
What if Johnson injured his back and was stopped? Or when he collapsed without being hit due to being drugged?
i already said i didn't know about it.
Quote:
The stoppage against Moore wasn't controversial but there were others that were.
like which ?
Quote:
The champion of bums went up in weight and dominated Tarver.
a drained tarver. 220 to 175. drainer than roy. again.
frankenfrank is offline  Top