View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79
Default Re: Do You Think Jack Dempsey Is Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingGlove1 View Post
Alot of people seem to think Dempsey was a amazing ATG. But I have my douts.

He drew the colour line. Didn't fight his number #1 contender who was contender for over 5 years in Harry Willis. Also wound't give Greb, Langford, or Johnson fights.

Made 6 defences of his title which is impresive, but the opponets weren't really that impressive which included the circus act and extremely limeted luis firpo, who nearly knocked him out. the much smaller Carpentier.

Billy Maske and Bill Brennan, who i don't think deserved to be in there with him and had already been defeated by Greb going into that fight.

He also took the title off possibly the worst champion in circus act Jess Willard. And was invovled in weak era of heavyweights.

And never defended the title for 3 YEARS. and comeback and was beaten by tunney twice.

Dempsey was a great fighter, but i don't really see what all the fuse is about.

Discuss
I don't think Jack's really overrated anymore, probably because the generation that overrated him the most has been dying out (not to sound callous about that sort of thing).

Out of curiosity, do you share the same opinion of Jack Johnson being overrated? He also drew the color line once he was champ and had lackluster defenses.
Rock0052 is online now  Top