View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What did pre-Steward Lewis do better than post-Steward Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
Is there anything that the pre-Manny Steward of Lennox Lewis (in other words the version trained by Davenport or Correa) did better than the Lewis who trained under Steward?
He was more aggressive, although that's a double edged sword; and IMO he seemed a bit quicker, although that was probably the result of generally weighing less.

The one area I would say he definitely declined under Steward was with his left hook. He showed a pretty good left hook in his early career (ie: vs. Weaver, Bruno), but Steward gradually turned him into just a "one-two" fighter and forsook the hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
In addition, how much of his progress as a fighter was down to Steward, and how much of it was down to himself, being older and presumably, wiser?
I think Lewis' "progress" under Steward gets somewhat overrated. Manny did fine-tune his style, but I don't agree that he improved by leaps and bounds as many people describe it. He still continued to be inconsistent, sometimes lazy and sloppy in his fights, and often ignored the advice Manny gave him in the corner and simply was good enough to win fights regardless.

From the start to finish of his career, Lewis was an inconsistent and unpredictable fighter who only occasionally made full use of his potential. His win over Ruddock under Correa was as good as I've ever seen him look, while his loss to Rahman under Steward was as bad as he's ever looked. Overall he was probably better under Steward than any other trainer, but Lewis' own mentality was the biggest factor in his performances IMO.
My2Sense is offline  Top