View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #122
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holyfield...Did he just have Tyson's number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Joe View Post
If Tyson had kept Kevin Rooney, kept training properly, not been distracted by women/money/fame, not gone to jail for rape, then...he wouldn't be Mike Tyson would he? He'd be another person. And since we're judging the actual Mike Tyson vs the actual Evander Holyfield, not a hypothetical perfect alternate reality Tyson without any flaws vs the actual Holyfield warts & all, since the latter would be a ridiculous apples to oranges comparison.

Hey, I have an idea - what if Ali had Tyson's power, Marciano's training discipline, Gene Tunney's IQ and boxing smarts, and Ray Arcel as his personal fight strategist? What if Joe Louis had a granite chin and Jersey Joe Walcott's slickness and WWII had not happened? What if I was an invicincilbe superman who could knock guys out just by looking at them?

Sometimes when talking with Tyson fans I get the impression they think Mike would have been all these things combined, if only he hadn't...{insert random excuse here}.
The reason why there is so many question marks with Tyson was because of how good he was before going to prison. The level of competition didnt improve either. His life was also an open book in the media so everyone was watching him make all the wrong decisions, and ultimately flushing his career down the toilet.
lefthook31 is offline  Top