View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 05:04 AM   #20
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What did pre-Steward Lewis do better than post-Steward Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
Yeah well it works both ways. He developed Mike Moorer and Gerald Mclellan from amatuers, and they left him.
You cant win them all either and Hamed was always a technical mess. Steward also worked with Evander Holyfield and set the gameplan for his winning effort against Riddick Bowe.
Its not overated either what he does and part of the reason hes in demand so much. It also shows the importance of a great strategist teacher, regardless of the level of fighter.
I do agree at the time Lewis lost, Steward was working with too many fighters. That probably contributed to Lewis loss, but again more reason why he was so important to him.
I dont deny that he is a world-class trainer with a great record, but he's one of many IMO. He's one of the best-known probably because he's ambitiuous and likes the limelight and is willing to spread himself thin and work with top fighters all over the place. I know there are some great trainers who dont really stray beyond their own backyards and have no interest in seeking out top fighters.
The point I'm making is that Steward should get credit for the fighters he developed from scratch, but that the credit his gets for Lewis is way overblown considering what Lewis had already proven long before he worked with Steward.
I'd extend that to the Holyfield-Bowe fight too. Holyfield simply boxed more in the rematch, something that was obvious he should have done in the first fight. I think we all wrote that game plan for him before the first fight had even ended.
I dont think Steward's a better trainer than Benton, it's just that Holyfield (and the rest of us) underestimated Bowe's toughness first off.
Unforgiven is offline  Top