Old 10-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #75
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ranking the Greats: your assistance please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Stoney, would you agree with the following?

"Ring Generalship properly understood is about how effective a fighter is in controlling his opponent. Whether this is done by singing and dancing, laughing and crying or laying an egg is besides the point. What should be measured is the effectiveness one has in controlling an opponent, not the method via which the control is achieved. Whether someone achieves control via defensive strategy or bumrushing a foe is equal in worth if the level of effectiveness is the same."
I like that definition. Ring Generalship should revolve around effectiveness, but I have a dilemma... I do think that skill should be factored in to some notable degree. I don't know how notable, but boxing is a skill sport before it is an "athleticism" sport and history has proven that. Pure athletes have doen well -Naseem, Ali of course, Jones of course, Foreman I, but they are exceptional. Most guys who rely on physical strength or speed or some other athletic quality or combination thereof are chased out of the gym before their 19 years old...

Quote:
As to your list, I'd like to ask, did Benny Leonard make your 1920 cut off? If he did, I'd think he'd have to be in the top 10.
I had a tough time with Benny. He did make the cut-off, but came in at 11. That surprised me too.

11. Benny Leonard
(15 pt must)
RG 15
Exp 12
LGV 10
DOM 13

(10 pt must)
PLO 5
DUR 7
INT 7
TOTAL = 69
Quote:
One other question, where did Barney Ross come in? Surprised someone like Jofre is ranked higher than him.
13. Barney Ross
(15 pt must)
RG 14
Exp 13
LGV 7
DOM 11

(10 pt must)
PLO 5
DUR 9
INT 7
TOTAL = 67

Eder beat him based on Longevity. Barney was all done early...
Stonehands89 is offline  Top