Old 10-07-2009, 04:10 AM   #23
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Patterson's comeback in the early 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmers612 View Post
He started his comeback with a ko of Charlie Green, which I saw, and continued until the loss to Ali. His fight with Bonnavena was considered an unofficial win for Oscar as he kept Floyd pinned against the ropes with his strength for much of the fight. Patterson did land one of his big left hooks which in younger days might have dropped ringo. Floyd boxed just great against Ali in their second go and was ahead when he got cut. I was hoping for a Floyd win and he just might have pulled it off without the cut stoppage. All and all he was still a worthy challenger, lower top ten caliber considering the strength of the division at that time.

Well said.

They weren't going to put him in there with those pedigreed up and comers. And a championship fight against Frazier would've been bad news since Joe wasn't the type to take it easy in there. But floyd rebounded very well from both of those brutal Liston fights and continued toi be a factor for another 10 years. How many heavies actually stay competitively ranked after they lose their title and take some bad lickings for any kind of duration of time, anyway?

You know the guy I wanted to see Patterson fight back then though? don't laugh, but the clubfighter Chuck Wepner. If nothing else, Wepner was a big strong physical & durable guy in there that liked to manhandle opponents. Patterson had a huge edge in tools, but I tend to think Wep turns it into a Wepner type fight in there. And that Braverman would put him in with anyone and it sure didn't take much of a payday for him to volunteer the services of Wepner.
zadfrak is offline  Top