Old 09-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonard - Best Boxer In Last 30 Yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher
I thought LONG & hard about this 1 & despite his annoying retirements I have to go for ray leonard as the best boxer since 1977/78.

I narrowed it down to 2 men - duran & leonard.
leonard finished 2-1 up but duran was naturally smaller so that evens itself out in my book.

Despite roberto being at his absolute peak between the yrs 77-80, he also had some of his prime yrs from 72-77 with him being the best ever lwt during that time where as srl had ALL of his best yrs from 77-87.

Take out their 3rd meaningless fight, I still thought srl won the 2nd clearer than duran won the 1st & my head tells me that if the leonard of the 2nd fight fought the duran of the 1st fight then sugar ray would have won a close but unanimous decision.

Then you throw in his footwork, handspeed, mindset & ability to finish a man in trouble & you have 1 of the most complete boxers in history.

Then throw in the names of hagler, hearns, benitez & duran himself + the 4/5 world titles.

Not much more to say is there ?
it would have been better if leonard could add Norris to his resume. even a respectable loss would make him stand out more. personally, I have him at #41
redrooster is offline  Top