View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benny Leonard was the greatest lightweight of all time - by a long way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Roberto Duran:

Ken Buchanan
Ray Lampkin
Esteban De Jesus (x2)
Edwin Viruet (x2)

Benny Leonard:

Willie Ritchie
Johnny Kilbane
Jack Britton (x2)
Lew Tendler (x2)
Freddie Welsh (x2)
Soldier Bartfield (x3)
Johnny Dundee (x4)
Rocky Kansas (x4)

Doesn't this just speak for itself?

Yes, Leonard lost every once in a while, but you're talking about an era where you might fight four times in as many weeks. Nobody had a record like Leonard's back then apart from Harry Greb.

You can say Duran was better, and use that as part of your criteria - but if accomplishments are what you go by, there's no denying Benny Leonard.
Saoul Mamby and Ernesto Marcel were no walk-overs.

To judge the standing of a fighter based on one criteria is incomplete -even if it is the most important critieria like "quality of opposition". That being said, a good case can be made about Leonard being the greatest LW who ever lived. I'd give him a slight edge with not only quality of opposition, but with ring generalship, and dominance as well.

However, I do not believe that a strong case can be made that The Ghetto Wizard is greater than the Hands of Stone on a p4p basis. Duran's "longevity", "performance against larger men", and arguably "experience" pull him ahead there. Rightly or wrongly, I have Duran ahead partly because his win against Leonard and Barkley really magnify his greatness in his natural division.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top