View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Benny Leonard was the greatest lightweight of all time - by a long way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
Saoul Mamby and Ernesto Marcel were no walk-overs.

To judge the standing of a fighter based on one criteria is incomplete -even if it is the most important critieria like "quality of opposition". That being said, a good case can be made about Leonard being the greatest LW who ever lived. I'd give him a slight edge with not only quality of opposition, but with ring generalship, and dominance as well.

However, I do not believe that a strong case can be made that The Ghetto Wizard is greater than the Hands of Stone on a p4p basis. Duran's "longevity", "performance against larger men", and arguably "experience" pull him ahead there. Rightly or wrongly, I have Duran ahead partly because his win against Leonard and Barkley really magnify his greatness in his natural division.
Of course. You could argue Duran over Leonard on a pound-for-pound list, I mean, there is perhaps no greater win than that of 1980, for any fighter, ever. Despite that, I really don't think there is a debate on who was the greater lightweight unless you factor in actual fighting ability (which would be fair enough, it's not exactly an irrelevant facet of the game). About the only thing you could argue is how far behind Duran is.

I still rate Leonard above Duran - that's Benny, not Ray (REPEAT: NOT RAY) - on a pound-for-pound list as well because I genuinely believe he belongs there. #4 infact, just ahead of Sam Langford, while Duran is #7.
Manassa is offline  Top