View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: Benny Leonard was the greatest lightweight of all time - by a long way

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
arguello would get rid of leonard easily
really?

dont see it myself i think Leonrd has the speed, movement and intellignce to beat Arguello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
Saoul Mamby and Ernesto Marcel were no walk-overs.

To judge the standing of a fighter based on one criteria is incomplete -even if it is the most important critieria like "quality of opposition". That being said, a good case can be made about Leonard being the greatest LW who ever lived. I'd give him a slight edge with not only quality of opposition, but with ring generalship, and dominance as well.

However, I do not believe that a strong case can be made that The Ghetto Wizard is greater than the Hands of Stone on a p4p basis. Duran's "longevity", "performance against larger men", and arguably "experience" pull him ahead there. Rightly or wrongly, I have Duran ahead partly because his win against Leonard and Barkley really magnify his greatness in his natural division.
i have Leonard number 1 at Lightweight but Duran ahead pound for pound. Leonard at Lightweight was one of the most dominant champs ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
I don't know if you are intending to start an argument or if you really believe this post, but I have to directly contradict your post.

No LW would "beat the shit" out of a prime Benny Leonard.

No LW would "clearly outbox" Benny Leonard.
agree completly

if anyone i would pick to do the outboxing of Leonard Whittaker would be my pick. but i still dont think he does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Duran and Napoles would KO him sooner or later at their best. Mayweather/Whitaker would outbox him, Whitaker more comprehensively. Times have changed from Benny's era and while great for his time boxing has moved in. Having said that Mayweather and Leonard have stylistic similarities but FMJ has a bigger box of tricks and athletic ability
how d you know Napoles would do it youve at most saw a 3 min clip of him at LW
GPater11093 is offline  Top