View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #34
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685
Default Re: Benny Leonard was the greatest lightweight of all time - by a long way

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Well, Henry Armstrong trounced the ATG Barney Ross for the WW title and then beat the #1 WW contender all while weighing within the 135-pound limit himself. That's about as big an achievement as any lightweight had while still actually a lightweight.

Having said that, I usually rate Leonard and Armstrong #1 and 2 at the weight respectively. I rate them both over Duran at that weight (both in achievement and H2H) as I don't believe Duran beat competition on par with their's at 135, and besides which I don't think Duran really reached his peak until moving up to 147.
I think i agree with you on this. Armstrong competed for a very short time, as a lightweight in terms of years, but not in terms of quality of opponents, he beat the best Welterweights as well as lightweights, and as a lightweight. I would be interested to see who else beat the world world class larger fighters, as a lightweight, it might take some level of thinking or digging, but i think that Armstrongs efforts here are probably better than any other lightweight.
Boilermaker is offline  Top