View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #36
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benny Leonard was the greatest lightweight of all time - by a long way

Something I ran into today

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2009/02/...leonard-story/

1. <LI id=comment-23758 itxtvisited="1">burt bienstock Says:
    June 9th, 2009 at 11:01 pm
    As an oldtimer who saw my first pro card in 1942 ,Ike Williams vs Terry Young,I would like to relate an anecdote.Ruby Goldstein former top lightweight in the 1920,s was giving a seminar in 1955 in New Hampshire, which I attended. My question was” how would you,Canzoneri,Leonard Ross,Mclarnin, Armstrong etc compare with Ike Williams?He took his stogie out of his mouth, and curtley replied “Do not compare us in the same breath with Benny Leonard”,with much conviction…Iwas greatly impressed. I think that Leonard was the top lightweight of all time on a par with Ray Robinson who I saw fight twice as a welterweight. Ike Williams was the best I saw, followed by Duran…
  2. burt bienstock Says:
    July 13th, 2009 at 10:41 pm i would like to make a slight correction. i as a youngster saw my first pro card between beau jack vs tough terry young, st nicholas arena 1942, not ike williams,who i saw ko the great beau jack in Phildelphia 1948.Ike williams uncuffed, i rate as the best lightweight, since canzoneri, ross era. a real murderous puncher was Ike…Burt bienstock
guilalah is offline  Top