View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #59
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Benny Leonard was the greatest lightweight of all time - by a long way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
No.. No, it doesn't... Styles make fights, etc......... Ben Leonard was a slick boxer with good technique and skill, but he couldn't bust an egg over a kitchen counter........ In my view, Benny Leonard's best chance of beating Roberto Duran in a time machine would be to fight the pre 1973 Duran at 135 pounds........... Duran was NOT in his true prime when he beat Ken Buchanan in New York in 1972.... At age 21, Duran was still shy of his real prime days / years..........

SO! Okay, perhaps the Benny Leonard of 1922 does indeed school the Duran of 1972 in a time machine, that I can believe is possible.... But the Leonard of 1922 / '23 fighting the Roberto Duran of 1974 / '75 at 135 pounds, no way would Benny Leonard beat that animal in the ring.......

MR.BILL
Mr Bill,I fnd your posts entertaining ,but, you are wrong if you think Leonard couldn't punch.
He was the only man to stop Welsh.
He dropped a great welterweight in Jack Britton ,who was only stopped once in 196 fights.
Stopped Rocky Kansas,who was only stopped 3 times in 85 fights.
Kod Ritchie Mitchell twice.
Floored Jimmy duffy 6 times in 2 rds for an early stoppage.
Kod that great left hooker Charley White who was stopped 4 times in 111 fights.
Leonard had a fast and deadly right hand ko punch ,his %'s are misleading ,because he fought a ton of no dec bouts .
Read up on him a bit, he had good power.
mcvey is offline  Top