View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
The_Hammer

vCash: 1000
Default Were your parents supportive?

Hello all,

I'm 15, and I've been boxing since late September/early October-ish (about 9 months I guess). I also play 2 varsity sports (rowing and cross country) at my school, so until recently I wasn't able to really focus on boxing (I was only at the gym 2-3 times a week, and sometimes sparring on Saturdays). I'm in real good shape, which I'm keeping up with roadwork every morning, and since I've been putting in an hour and a half or two hours a day at the gym (solid worktime, counting commute is bullshit) my technical skills are dramatically improving (I mean, I'm not quite as good as vicious boxer, but thats just unnatainable skill, I just don't have white sweatband enough for it ).

This is great because I could finally get my hands on something I've been hungry for since my first time in the gym: an amateur fight. However, therein lies the problem. While my mom was supportive of this when it was more casual, she's starting to get really uncomfortable now that its looking competitive.

I understand that she's just worried because she cares, but in a way I feel betrayed. I've presented her with as much information about the risks involved as possible (which is drastically less than many other activities that she has knowingly let me participate in: scuba diving, rock climbing, ice climbing, mountain biking, snowboarding and rodeo riding) and I've even taken her down to the gym twice to speak with my coach, but she doesn't seem able to make a decision.

I was wonderring if any of you guys have had this kind of experience with family or spouses and if you could share how they worked out.

Also, any good, scientific information from a reputable source about risks and dangers of the sport would be really appreciated.

I'm going to set up another meeting to have her talk with my coach, and I guess we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for any help!
The_Hammer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links