Old 11-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337
Default Re: Eder Jofre

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
He was a great technician, very savvy and tough, quick on his feet, and could bang with both hands. He came out of relative obscurity in the early '60s to unify the vacant bantam title. He made a string of defenses against top bantams of his day, and was touted by those who followed the lower weight classes as possibly the best P4P fighter of the day (better even than Liston and Clay). However, a combination of weight making and ex-flyweight champ Fighting Harada's intense, non-stop attack style took the title from him in a big upset. He was outhustled again in a rematch with Harada, and it looked like he might retire. However, he made a comeback sometime after that and put together a string of wins over several years that earned him a shot at feather champ Jose Legra. Jofre, who was now in his late '30s, scored a big surprise when he took the title on a close decision from Legra. After that, he fought a long overdue "superfight" with ex-FW champ Vicente Saldivar, a fight that was supposed to have happened several years earlier if Jofre had gotten by Harada. Jofre scored one of his last great performances by blasting out Saldivar in 4 rounds. Jofre never defended his title after that, was eventually stripped, and retired for good after a few more non-title wins. The two close losses to Harada were the only losses of his career.
Right on the button description. You could mention that he looked similar to Joe Louis stylewise. Arguable a Top20 fighter of all-time. Often overlooked I must say.
bodhi is offline  Top