View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #19
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Sandy Saddler vs Hank Armstrong......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
i have always picked Saddler but Mannassa has convinced me but i dont think its quite as easy as it sounds
Nah mate, it'd be tough.

The poster above me thinks Armstrong would be stopped. I really don't think that's possible - well, it could happenI suppose, but it's about as likely as Carlos Monzon stopping Marvin Hagler. I understand that most people are talking about cuts here rather than concussion, but still; Armstrong's skin wasn't particularly fragile until his best days were behind him.

Can't blame anyone for going with Saddler based on the Fritzie Zivic fight. But I can't imagine that scenario occuring very often, I mean, Armstrong's face was really torn and swollen. He couldn't even see the punches coming at him.

But we're talking about featherweight anyway. Although Armstrong would beat Zivic (he proved it, later) at his best, by 1940 he was worn and scarred, and probably slightly out of his depth after such a hectic career in a weight division above where he was most comfortable. There's a reason he rarely weighed in as a proper welterweight, and that's because he wasn't one. Neither was Saddler.

Nobody could deal with Armstrong at 126-130lbs, and I can't imagine Saddler being able to either. He was destroying the opposition.

And let us also remember that Saddler could be hit, and often.
Manassa is offline  Top