Old 10-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #72
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Agreed to an extent. Hagler was brilliant versatile fighting machine, and was without question of the best of the 80's. Its up for arguement that he was the best fighter of that decade.

Many people tend to go with Leonard, based on the factual evidence that he beat Hearns, Duran, and Hagler. Especially since he had one fight in five years before before sharing a ring with Hagler. Nobody thought Leonard would last 12 rounds, never mind winning a controversial decision. All the Hagler fans would have been licking their lips before the first bell rang, expecting an easy nights work. The excuses poured out after Leonard won.

Hagler's status as a true middleweight great was always in question until he beat Hearns. Minter, Obel, Hamsho, Sibson, Roldan, etc. All very good middleweights, nothing more. The Duran performance was hardly convincing, especially as Duran was a natural lightweight. Not the perfomance of a middleweight legend, far from it.
Correction Robbi. That doesn't apply to me. I saw Hagler in sparring which I told you in the PM earlier. In the sparring he showed no life and something looked drastically wrong with him. He was matched up with the Weaver tripplets, three guys I never heard of wo were used to prepare Hagler for the speedy opponent. and Hagler couldn't cope with the speed of the tripplets so what does that tell you? Is it any wonder why leonard did as well as he did? And since I am wise to what happend, I hesitate to put leonard at the top as so many people want me to do-which I won't.
redrooster is offline  Top