View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #41
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if Gerry Cooney had somehow gotten lucky against Spinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Bum,

OOOHHH!! Ouch........ Cooney was psyched after kayoing Norton in '81...... Yet, it 'twas misleading....... Larry Holmes brought team Cooney back down to Earth in 1982........

But yes, I agree 100%......... Cooney would've KO'd Mike Weaver in 1982.......

Holmes was too GREAT to lose to Cooney in 1982.......

Even though Cooney was rich and banging bitches and doin' lines of coke in 1986 / '87, I still thought he'd pound Mike Spinks enroute to a 4th round KO in 1987........ I lost money in a pool at work...... ARGH!!

MR.BILL

The wacko twins were smart they went for the money they knew Gerry had substance problems his brother checked into rehab and Gerry had the same problems. I happen to know Cooney at the time and people close around him. Gerry was a mess. Gerry's father used to belittle him and tell him how worthless he was...Gerry never really thought of him self as worthy and he did have some losses in the lightheavyweight division a tko loss to Johnny Davis but I saw Cooney win as a middleweight and southpaw( great power) but Gerry was fragile on the recieving end. It was Holmes best win. Geryy was gangly but his left arm was freakish. I saw many of his fights and can attest to his power but he had one arm and was frail but may have had a shot to take a title had it not been a top form and carefull Holmes.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top