View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #44
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default Re: What if Gerry ****ey had somehow gotten lucky against Spinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
The wacko twins were smart they went for the money they knew Gerry had substance problems his brother checked into rehab and Gerry had the same problems. I happen to know ****ey at the time and people close around him. Gerry was a mess. Gerry's father used to belittle him and tell him how worthless he was...Gerry never really thought of him self as worthy and he did have some losses in the lightheavyweight division a tko loss to Johnny Davis but I saw ****ey win as a middleweight and southpaw( great power) but Gerry was fragile on the recieving end. It was Holmes best win. Geryy was gangly but his left arm was freakish. I saw many of his fights and can attest to his power but he had one arm and was frail but may have had a shot to take a title had it not been a top form and carefull Holmes.
Since you are a New Yorker who watched ****ey live as an amateur, I am curious about something. Did you manage to see ****ey's amateur kayo over the Soviet Nikolai Aksyonov? It was held in MSG in the fall of 1975. It was a team meeting between USA and USSR heavyweight squads, telecast live by ABC.
http://amateur-boxing.strefa.pl/Dual...lUSA_URSh.html

****ey won via a classic, one punch kayo in the first round. Left hook to the jaw. Aksyonov was a top notch, tough and highly seasoned fighter, too.
kenmore is offline  Top