View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I have to agree with both you and Janitor, that it was definately foolish of Patterson to engage Liston at close range and so early on. Do you feel however, that he indeed had the boxing ability to launch such a plan involving more lateral movement and boxing from a distance? Sonny had a tremendous jab that he could use from long range, and a way of cutting off the ring.

I don't know.
Frankly, I don't either. One thing about Patterson no one comments on. Marciano and Frazier and others are rightly or wrongly scored for being slow starters. No one mentions that Patterson seems to have been a slow starter. Cooper is the only name or semi-name opponent he ko'd in less than five. And his career ko percentage is pumped up a bit by his greater success at lightheavy. He ko'd 18 of 34 at heavy, with his biggest victims Ingo and London at 206 and both of them probably could have and should have come in a few pounds lighter. Unlike Dempsey, Louis, or Marciano, his power has to be viewed as somewhat suspect against big heavies the size of Liston, let alone one as talented as Liston.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top