View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Do what Ibragimov did against Briggs. I don't think he can pull it off and Liston is not a plodding statue like Briggs, but it's his only chance. Get low, land a few shots or impress the judges with it, get outside and stay away early as much as possible.

This is very interesting.
If Liston was not that highly regarded, how much was thought of him after the two Clay fights?

Also, you said "most experts thought that Patterson would win", was that before or after the first fight ?
I said "many" experts, not most. Obviously, Liston was the bigger favorite for the second fight, but there were some who thought Patterson might do to Liston what he did to Johansson and turn it around, but Liston was a strong favorite.
After the second first-round knockout, Liston's rep went off the charts. Interestingly, the experts considered the then Cassius Clay to not be in the same class as Patterson.

His rep then plunged after the two Ali fights to rock bottom. It has obviously come way back as about 10% of posters on this forum think Liston would sweep against the ten greatest heavyweights, including Ali. I think he was strongly overrated after the Patterson fights, was badly underrated after the Ali debacles, and is once more grossly overrated.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top