View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #34
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Barry Michael-Al Carter

To set the scene Al Carter was a hard hitting American prospect..The commentators repeatedly referred to him as one of top up and comers of the division at the time. Barry Michael would later become the IBF 130 champ but up until that stage his career had been a bit stop start with some losses for the Commonwealth title (back in that day it was considered more prestigious to be a Commonwealth champ) and abroad.

This fight was a lightweight eliminator for the title.

Its a great fight...Excellent display of chin by Michael, who just could not be dented all night despite looking a bit worse for wear at times in the 8th.

I scored it 5 a piece in the end.. a draw...Carter made a great start until Barry settled in and began to consistently beat his body..A lot of rounds saw Carter come out like someone possessed only the punch himself out on the iron jawed Aussie and be on the end of a bit of punishment himself by rounds end.

The second half had a lot of great see saw action...with Barry snatching the draw IMO with a big last round. I agreed with the ref's assessment who also had it a draw but was a little puzzled that the other judges had it so wide for Barry..99-94 and 98-92 respectively. Carter won at least 3 rounds clear as day but I must admit that some rounds were very hard to score as they were so closely fought.

Top fight anyway.
WhataRock is offline  Top