View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #42
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Eubank vs Sugarboy Malinga

Eubank:2,3,4,5(10-8 ),7,8,9,10,12
Malinga:6,11
round 1 even

Commentary had Eubank winning comfortably.

Good technical fight, that even moreso than the first Watson bout, was often dominated by quality defensive work.Neither fighter landed many powershots at all, with Eubank consistently getting the better of the jabbing.This ended up banking him close round after close round for me, resulting in a lopsided card despite the competitiveness of the individual rounds.

This is a recurring theme in most of Eubank's controversial fights for me.His do just enough mentality and the often notably inferior talent of his opponents, resulting in many close hard to score rounds.I tended to think he usually did have an often consistent, if slim edge in these kind of bouts,but i can see why others thought different.

Here he won very clearly though imo.Certainly one of his better "just enough" efforts, which would have been a robbery had he lost imo.

Malinga was a nice fighter at this stage.Good compact, if somewhat mechanical technician, with tidy defence and a nice long jab.Just not consistent or active enough.His later loss to Jones and success against Benn, reid etc actually came well past his peak.
Mantequilla is offline  Top