View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #45
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Watched Kuniaki Shibata's first fight with Ben Villaflor yesterday. Interesting tactical affair pitting Shibata's quick combinations and defensive nous against Villaflor's resoluteness, strength and jabbing prowess.

In so far as the exchanges went, Shibata was getting the best of it imo, landing crisp, eye catching punches, but there were too many periods of inactivity from his part where the more sturdy and reliable jab of Villaflor was piling up points. Whenever Villaflor got past mid range he was also effectively raking Shibata's body and had him wincing on more than one occasion. Despite Shibata occasionally landing flush he wasn't having much effect on Villalfor's rock chin.

Somewhat like Shibata's fight with Victor Echegaray, I thought his periods of inactivity cost him and his less talented opponent got the decision through a greater work rate. Echegaray was another good, though somewhat one dimensional jabber, but he was able to consistently shoot it and score points against an at times listless looking Shibata.

Anyway, my scorecard:

Ben Villaflor vs. Kuniaki Shibata I: 144-145 Villaflor
Shibata: 2,3,4 and 15.
Villaflor: 1,5,8,10,13 and 14.
Rounds 7,9,11 and 12 even.

And just for interest's sake, my Shibata-Echegaray scorecard:

Victor Echegaray vs. Kuniaki Shibata: 144-141 Echegaray
Shibata:1,5,7 and 15 ( 10-7 ).
Echegaray: 2,4,8,9,10,11,12,13 and 14.
Rounds 3 and 6 even.

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 12-21-2009 at 01:11 AM.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top