View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #33
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson news reads. Battling Jim, MCvey, Jeanette, and Langford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
I'll be happy to help McVey out. He basically agrees with what I have been saying about Jack Johnson being over rated, lucky to win some fights, and avoiding the best competition despite some big time purse offers as champion. We agree here.

Where we might disagree is how much Johnson's wins over 156 pound Langford, a very in-experienced Jeanette, or a teenaged and green McVey really mean. Jeanette despite sporting a record below, at, or slightly above .500 was nearly even with Johnson when the two mixed it.

Then he says Joe Louis never faced many black contenders, and Ali whips Jeffries.
I dont agree Johnson was overated ,I think he is the second best heavyweight of all time.The only fight I can see a case for Johnson being lucky in is perhaps the Jim Johnson fight,Ive seen the fight described as scheduled for ten and twenty rounds so there is some confusion there.
A prime Johnson beats Sullivan ,Corbett,Fitz,Jeffries,Hart,Langford Jeanette ,Mcvey,Smith or anyone else before Dempseys reign.
Ithink Jack whips Dempsey,Marciano,Tunney,Liston and Holmes,Tyson ,Lewis,but loses to Ali.
Ive held the view that Jack Johnson was the greatest Heavywieght of all time right up until I watched Ali ko Foreman ,on closed circuit in Leicester Square London,then I changed to Ali as my number 1.
Mendoza we are further apart than ever,Ive agreed that Johnson should have fought the top black challengers of his reign,so should Louis have ,Holmes my number 5 heavweight should have fought Page Thomas ,Witherspoon and Williams again,Tunney should have fought Sharkey but the Gob drawing with Heeney got him off that one ,Tunney could have fought Godfrey but chose not to,Schmeling actually turned down a fight with Champ Baer,you can go on and on.You arent coming up with anything NEW!
mcvey is offline  Top